Obstetrics and Gynecology is the medical specialty that deals with women's health and reproductive organs.
Obstetrics and Gynecology is the medical specialty that deals with women's health and reproductive organs. Gynecology focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of diseases related to female reproductive organs such as the uterus, cervix, vagina, vulva, and fallopian tubes. Obstetrics, on the other hand, deals with the management of pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum care. The specialty also involves the diagnosis and treatment of female infertility, uterine and ovarian disorders, and gynecologic cancers, as well as pediatric and adolescent gynecology, urogynecology, sexual dysfunction, menopause, and gynecologic surgery.
Obstetrics and Gynecology addresses a broad range of women's health issues, including menstrual disorders, sexual dysfunction, infertility, vaginal problems, placental disorders, labor and delivery complications, pregnancy monitoring, miscarriage, uterine disorders, ovarian disorders, birth control methods, genital surgery, and both normal and cesarean delivery.
Obstetrics and Gynecology department, menstrual period diseases, sexual dysfunctions, infertility, vaginal problems, placental disorders, birth problems, pregnancy follow-up, miscarriage, uterine diseases, ovarian problems, birth control methods, external genital organs, cyst and fibroid operations, normal and It carries out the follow-up of many gynecological diseases such as cesarean section and pregnancy process, diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
The diseases and disorders that are addressed, diagnosed and treated in the Obstetrics and Gynecology specialty include:
- Periodic gynecologic examinations
- Breast diseases
- Ultrasonographic examinations
- Diagnosis and treatment of hormonal disorders
- Cancer screenings (ultrasound, blood tests, smear tests, HPV tests)
- Individualized family planning methods (intrauterine device, birth control pills, sterilization procedures)
- Pre-marital gynecologic examination
Pregnancy and Childbirth
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology deals with pre-pregnancy examinations and counseling. The pregnancy process is carefully monitored, and great importance is given to the health of the mother and the baby. Measures are taken and interventions are made for a healthy generation. In addition, this department also deals with topics such as preventing the risks of consanguineous marriages, screening for genetic disorders, and chromosomal analysis. The services provided within this scope can be summarized as follows:
- Pre-pregnancy consultation, counseling, and examination,
- Control of maternal health and examination of necessary laboratory tests,
- Detection of pregnancy and close monitoring of the development process with abdominal and/or transvaginal ultrasound from the 5th week onwards,
- Ultrasonographic fetal anomaly screening for detecting familial disabilities or congenital problems in babies,
- Pregnancy diet, dual and triple/quadruple screening tests, genetic tests, amniocentesis,
- High-risk pregnancy follow-up for pregnant women who are identified with problems during pregnancy due to test results,
- Supportive services such as psychological, physical, and nutrition counseling and preparation for childbirth for the expectant mother throughout the pregnancy period,
- Monitoring the baby's heartbeats and wellness with the fetal monitor device (NST) in the advanced stages of pregnancy,
- Care for the newborn by the neonatology specialist team after childbirth,
- Determining the appropriate contraception method after childbirth,
- Determining the causes of infertility in cases of infertility.
Diseases such as uterine prolapse, urinary incontinence, and bladder prolapse, which are common in women, are serious problems and must be treated. In the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, examinations, clinical evaluations, and urodynamic evaluations are carried out depending on the intensity of the complaints of patients with such complaints. The appropriate treatment method for the patient is determined:
- Drug therapy, - Kegel exercises, - Bladder training (behavioral therapy) - Vaginal cones with exercise method, - Pessary, - Botox, - Surgery.